Hepatitis B virus DNA in Blood Donors Positive of Anti-Hepatitis B Core Antibodies and Negative for Surface Antigen in Hawler Major Blood Bank, Kurdistan Region, Iraq

  • Rasha N. Hassan Microbiology/Pathology, Kurdistan Board of Medical Specialties/ Kurdistan region.
  • Ali H. Hussain Dept. of Community Health, Technical College of Health, University of Sulaimani Polytechnic.
Keywords: Blood donors, Occult HBV, Hawler city, Blood Bank.

Abstract

Background: Occult Hepatitis B virus infection (OBI) among blood donors is an important medical concern.
Objectives: This study was done to detect the presence of occult hepatitis B virus infections among blood donors with negative hepatitis B surface antigen and positive total anti-hepatitis B core antibodies in Hawler Major Blood Bank in Hawler city/Kurdistan Region of Iraq.
Methods: A total number of 12,185 blood donors in Hawler Major Blood Bank were screened for HBsAg and total anti-HBcAb using ELISA technique, and then positive results were retested by confirmatory technique by Chemiluminescence assay. All HBsAg-/HBcAb+ were selected as the study group; HBV DNA was tested among HBsAg-/HBcAb+ by conventional PCR and Real time-PCR. Clinical and demographic data of study group were recorded.
Results: Among the 12,185 blood donors, HBsAg was positive in 27 (0.22%) donors using Chemiluminescence assay, the frequency of HBs Ag -/ HBc Ab+ was 276 (2.27%), and then the total prevalence of HBV infection in all blood donors was 2.49%. Among the 276 HBs Ag-/HBcAb+, occult hepatitis B virus infection (OBI) was positive in 39.1% (108/276) using conventional PCR and Real time-PCR techniques, while the prevalence among all blood donors (n=12,185) was 0.09%. Testing of HBV-DNA in HBs Ag -/ HBc Ab+ group for OBI was done by qualitative PCR (positive HBV-DNA=102/276) or by quantitative Real time-PCR (positive HBV-DNA=108/276).
Conclusions: The OBI is frequently detected among blood donors in Hawler city especially those have HBsAg-/HBcAb+, and the total anti-HBcAb is an essential serological marker for screening HBV among blood donors. The risk factors for developing OBI among blood donors should be elucidated.

 

 

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

Author Biography

Ali H. Hussain, Dept. of Community Health, Technical College of Health, University of Sulaimani Polytechnic.

 

 

Published
2018-04-01
How to Cite
1.
Hassan R, Hussain A. Hepatitis B virus DNA in Blood Donors Positive of Anti-Hepatitis B Core Antibodies and Negative for Surface Antigen in Hawler Major Blood Bank, Kurdistan Region, Iraq. J Fac Med Bagdad [Internet]. 1Apr.2018 [cited 24Jan.2020];60(1):57-1. Available from: http://iqjmc.uobaghdad.edu.iq/index.php/19JFacMedBaghdad36/article/view/46