Atherogenic Indices in Type 2 Diabetic Iraqi Patients and Its Association with Cardiovascular Disease Risk
Keywords:Diabetes mellitus, Type 2 diabetes, Cardiovascular disease, Lipid ratios, Atherogenic index of plasma
Background: Diabetes is a serious risk factor for atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease and an important cause of mortality. Dyslipidemia is commonly related to type 2 diabetes, and the atherogenic index of plasma is a strong marker to predict the risk of atherosclerosis and coronary heart disease.
Objective: To study the association of atherogenic indices lipids in type 2 diabetic Iraqi patients with cardiovascular disease.
Patients and Methods: This clinical study was conducted at Baghdad Teaching Hospital/ Medical City-Baghdad from October 2022 to February 2023. Sixty type 2 diabetic patients were recruited for this study: 30 patients with cardiovascular disease and 30 without cardiovascular disease. Their ages were between 40-55 years. Another 30 healthy individuals were selected as a control group.
Results: There were considerable rises in glycemic and lipid investigations in diabetic patients with cardiovascular disease compared to those without cardiovascular disease and the control group. The present results show higher levels of lipid ratios in diabetic patients with cardiovascular disease. The results also revealed high levels of non-high-density lipoprotein cholesterol for diabetic patients with cardiovascular disease (241.8±12.24 mg/dL) versus (150.1±7.12 and 68.9±5.1 mg/dL) for those without cardiovascular disease and the controls group respectively. The atherogenic index of plasma in diabetic patients with cardiovascular disease compared to diabetic and healthy control groups were (0.8±0.09) versus (0.7±0.03 and 0.2±0.08) respectively. There was a significant correlation between the atherogenic index of plasma and anthropometric factors, glycemic and lipid profile with their ratios in diabetic patients with and without cardiovascular disease.
Conclusions: The results of this study confirm that the lipid indices are risk indicators of glycemic control with higher prognostic value than traditional factors. So, non-high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and atherogenic index of plasma can be used as a significant predictor of glycemic control.
Received: Feb., 2023
Accepted: May, 2023
Published: Oct. 2023
- He X, Ou C, Xiao Y, Han Q, Li H, and Zhou S . LncRNAs: key players and novel insights into diabetes mellitus. Oncotarget. 2017;8(41):71325-71341. https://doi:10.18632/oncotarget.19921 .
- Fei Y, Tsoi MF, and Cheung BMY. Cardiovascular outcomes in trials of new antidiabetic drug classes: a network meta-analysis. Diabetes Cardiovascular Disease, 2019;18(1):1-13. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12933-019-0916-z .
- Benjamin EJ, Blaha MJ, Chiuve SE, Cushman M, Das SR, Deo R, et al. Heart disease and stroke statistics-2017 update: a report from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2017;135(10):e146-603. https://doi:101161/C 0000000000000485 .
- Pang M, Li Y, Gu W, Sun Z, Wang Z, and Li L. Recent advances in epigenetics of macrovascular complications in diabetes mellitus. Heart, Lung and Circulation, 2021; 30(2):186-196. https://doi:10.1016/j.hlc.2020.07.015 .
- Zhu Z, Li J, Tong R, Zhang X, and Yu B. miR-149 alleviates ox-LDL-induced endothelial cell injury by promoting autophagy through Akt/mTOR pathway. Cardiol Res Pract. 2021;2021:9963258.
- Florido R, Zhao D, Ndumele EN, Lutsey PL, McEvoy JW, Windham BG, et al. Physical activity, parental history of premature coronary heart disease, and incident atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease in the atherosclerosis risk in communities (ARIC) study. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016; 5(9):e003505.https://doi:10.1161/JAHA.116.003505
.7- National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). Third Report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III) final report. 2002;106(25):3143-3421.
- Dobiasova M and Frohlich J. The plasma parameter log (TG/HDLC) as an atherogenic index: correlation with lipoprotein particle size and esterification rate in apoB-lipoprotein-depleted plasma (FERHDL). Clin Biochem. 2001;34(7):583-588. https://doi:10.1016/s0009-9120(01)00263-6 .
- Kavey REW, Daniels SR, Lauer RM, Atkins DL, Hayman LL, Taubert K; et al. American Heart Association guidelines for primary prevention of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease beginning in childhood. Circulation, 2003; 107(11):1562-1566. https://doi:10.1161/01.cir.0000061521.15730.6e .
- Rajaei E, Jalali MT, Shahrabi S, Asnafi AA, and Pezeshki SMS. HLAs in autoimmune diseases: ependable diagnostic biomarkers? Curr Rheumatol Rev., 2019;15(4):269-276.
https://doi:10.2174/1573397115666190115143226 .11- Langlois MR and Sniderman AD. Non-HDL cholesterol or apo B: which to prefer as a target for the prevention of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease? Curr Cardiol Rep. 2020;22(8):67. https://doi:10.1007/s11886-020-01323-z.
- Einarson TR, Acs A, Ludwig C, and Panton UH. Prevalence of cardiovascular disease in type 2 diabetes: a systematic literature review of scientific evidence from across the world in 2007–2017 Cardiovasc Diabetol., 2018; 17(83):1-19.
- Al-Salameh A, Chanson P, Bucher S, Ringa V, and Becquemont L. Cardiovascular disease in type 2 diabetes: a review of sex-related differences in predisposition and prevention, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, 2019;94(2):287–308.
- Tahir NT, Ahmed HS, and Gaiz AA. Leptin and insulin resistance in obese children. Al-Kindy College Medical Journal. 2014;10(2):36-40. https://jkmc.uobaghdad.edu.iq/index.php/MEDICAL/article/view/449 .
- Emerging Risk Factors Collaboration, Wormser D, Kaptoge S, Angelantonio ED, Wood AM, Pennells L, et al. Separate and combined associations of body-mass index and abdominal adiposity with cardiovascular disease: collaborative analysis of 58 prospective studies. Lancet. 2011;377(9771):1085–1095. https://doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(11)60105-0 .
- Obeed AA, AL-Kinani TA, and AL-Qadhi HI. Effect of Dapagliflozin on hemoglobin level in heart failure patients with chronic kidney disease and/or diabetes. J Fac Med Baghdad, 2022;64(4):203-207. https://doi.org/10.32007/jfacmedbagdad 6441973.
- Doostvandi T, Bahadoran Z, Mozaffari-Khosravi H, Tahmasebinejad Z, Mirmiran P, and Azizi F. The association of dietary patterns and the incidence of insulin resistance after a 3-year follow-up: Tehran lipid and glucose study. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2017;26(3):531-538. https://doi10.6133/apjcn.032016.12
- Onyango AN. Excessive gluconeogenesis causes the hepatic insulin resistance paradox and its sequelae. Heliyon, 2022;8 (e12294):1-13. https://doi:10.1016/j heliyon.2022.e12294 .
- Tahir NT, Ahmed HS, and Mahmmod OK. Correlation between high sensitivity C reactive protein and incident type 2 diabetes among newly diagnosed renal impairment patients. Iraqi Journal of Community Medicine, 2020;33(1):10-14.
- Abdulrahman ZS, Alatrakji MQ, Al-Maliky AA, Hussein KI, and Hussain SA. Influence of metformin dose and treatment adherence on glycemic control, adiposity, and cardiovascular risk markers in Iraqi patients with T2DM. J Fac Med Baghdad. 2022;64(4):218-226.
https://doi.org/10.32007/jfacmedbagdad. 6441939 .
- Ahmed HS. Serum adropin and apelin as potential markers predicting acute heart failure-associated renal dysfunction among elderly Iraqi patients. Ann Trop Med & Public Health, 2020;23(S10):SP231024. https://doi.org/10.36295/asro.2020.231024.
- Raoof EM and Ahmed HS. Circulating adipsin as biomarker and its implication in type 2 diabetes mellitus. IJDDT, 2022;12(2):588-593.
http://impactfactor.org/PDF/ IJDDT/12/IJDDT,Vol12,Issue2,Article21.pdf .
- Ahmed HS. Correlations between serum interleukins-2,-4 levels and some biochemical parameters in Iraqi patients with osteoporosis. Fac Med Baghdad 2017; 59(3):275-279. https://doi.org/10.32007/jfacmedbagdad.593103 .
- Ahmed HS. Obesity and breast cancer: Circulating adipokines and their potential diagnostic as risk biomarkers. Int. J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2020:11(3):3061-3068.
- Ahmed HS. Apolipoprotein B as a biomarker in patients with stable and unstable angina pectoris. International Journal for Sciences and Technology. 2013;8(2):36-40. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/34422045 3_Apolipoprotein_B_as_a_biomarker_in_patients_with_stable_and_unstable_angina_pectoris.
- Ahmed HS. Assessment of apolipoproteins A1, E, and insulin resistance in Iraqi male patients with acute myocardial infarction. Iraqi Journal of Community Medicine, 2020;33(2):71-76. https://doi:10.4103/IRJCM.IRJCM_4_21 .
- Yeh WC, Tsao Y-C, Li WC, Tzeng IS, Chen LS, and Chen JY. Elevated triglyceride-to-HDL cholesterol ratio is an indicator for insulin resistance in middle-aged and elderly Taiwanese population: a cross-sectional study. Lipids in Health and Disease, 2019;18(176):1-7. https://doi:10.1186/s12944-019-1123-3 .
- Kunutsor KS, Zaccardi F, Karppi J, Kurl S, and Laukkanen JA. Is high serum LDL/HDL-cholesterol ratio an emerging risk factor for sudden cardiac death? Findings from the KIHD study. J Atheroseler Thromb. 2017;24(6):600-608.
- McGrowder DA. Biochemical parameters as cardiovascular risk factors in obese children and adults. J Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2018;6(1):1115.
- Tahir NT, Ahmed HS, and Mohsen FY. Vitamin D and risk of osteoarthritis among Iraqi patients with and without metabolic syndrome. Plant Archives. 2020; 20(1): 2731-2736. http://www.plantarchives.org/20-1/2731-2736%20(6180).pdf .
- Cai G, Ganwei S, Xue S, and Lu W. The atherogenic index of plasma is a strong and independent predictor for coronary artery disease in the Chinese Han population. Medicine. 2017;96(37):e8058. https://doi:10.1097/MD.0000000000008058.
- Panjeta E, Jadric R, Panjeta M, Coric J, and Dervisevic A. Correlation of serum lipid profile and glycemic control parameters in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Health Sci 2018;8(2):110–116. https://doi.org/10.17532/jhsci.2018.488.
- Feng C, Wang H, Lu N, and Tu XM. Log transformation: application and interpretation in biomedical research. Stat Med. 2013;32(2):230–239. https://doi:10.1002/sim.5486
- Wu TT, Gao Y, Zheng YY, Ma YT, and Xie X. Atherogenic index of plasma (AIP): a novel predictive indicator for the coronary artery disease in postmenopausal
women. Lipids Health Dis. 2018;17(1):197. https://doi:10.1186/s12944-018-0828-z
- Liu T, Liu J, Wu Z, Lv Y, and Li W. Predictive value of the atherogenic index of plasma for chronic total occlusion before coronary angiography. Clin Cardiol. 2021; 44(4):518–525. https://doi:10.1002/clc.23565
- Won KB, Heo R, Park HB, Lee BK, Lin FY, Hadamitzky M, et al. Atherogenic index of plasma and the risk of rapid progression of coronary atherosclerosis beyond traditional risk factors. Atherosclerosis.2021;324:46–51. https://doi:10.1016/j. atherosclerosis. 2021.03.009.
- Turki KM, Ahmed HS, and Saifullah PH. LDL particles size index and lipid peroxidation in type 2 diabetic male patients. Iraqi Postgraduate Medical Journal.2013;12(1):57-61. https://www.iasj.net/iasj/article/70986 .
- Santos HO, Earnest CP, Tinsley GM, Izidoro LFM, and Macedo RCO. Small dense low-density lipoprotein-cholesterol (sdLDL-C): analysis, effects on cardiovascular endpoints and dietary strategies. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2020;63(4): 503–509. https://doi:10.3389/fcvm.2021.804214 .
- Ikezaki H, Furusyo N, Yokota Y, Ai M, Asztalos BF, Murata M, et al . Small dense low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and carotid intimal medial thickness progression. J Atheroscler Thromb. 2020;27(10):1108–1122.
https://doi:10.5551/jat. 54130 .
- Liou L and Kaptoge S. Association of small, dense LDL-cholesterol concentration and lipoprotein particle characteristics with coronary heart disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLOS ONE. 2020;15(11):e0241993. https://doi:10.1371/ journal.pone.0241993 .
- Duan R, Xue W, Wang K, Yin N, Hao H, Chu H, et al. Estimation of the LDL subclasses in ischemic stroke as a risk factor in a Chinese population. BMC Neurol. 2020;20(414):1-9. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12883-020-01989-6.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Hind Shakir Ahmed,Melak Saleh Mohammed
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
For all articles published in Journal of the Faculty of Medicine Baghdad, copyright is retained by the authors. Articles are licensed under an open access Creative Commons CC BY NC 4.0 license, meaning that anyone may download and read the paper for free. In addition, the article may be reused and quoted provided that the original published version is cited. These conditions allow for maximum use and exposure of the work, while ensuring that the authors receive proper rights.